New User Installation Guides
The instructions on this page provide general installation and handling information. These instructions are intended to be used in conjunction with your model specific owner's manual.
Note: Before touching electronic components, make sure you are properly grounded. By wearing ESD Gloves, you can prevent static electricity stored on your body or clothing from damaging your installation.
Basic Desktop Computer Installation
1. The first thing to do is make sure the computer is shut down. *Note that it may seem sensible to unplug the computer before installing the RAM, but we don't recommend it. Keeping the machine plugged in will ground it.
3. Remove the computer's cover following the instructions in the model-specific owner's manual.
4. Locate the memory expansion sockets on the computer's motherboard. If all the sockets are full, remove smaller capacity modules to allow room for higher capacity modules.
5. Once you've discharged your static electricity, pick up the memory chip by its top or sides. Don't touch the silver or gold contacts at the bottom. Regardless of the type of memory you have, it will only go into the empty memory slot one way, so look at the notch(s) in the contacts and line them up so the partitions in the RAM sockets fit in the grooves.
6. Make sure the notch(s) on your module are lined up with the keys in the slot, and then press down firmly. The clips on the side of the module should snap into place on their own. If you have to move the clips into place by hand, your module isn't installed properly. *Check your owner's manual to determine the correct installation sequence for your configuration.
7. Turn on the computer and follow the instructions in your computer owner's manual that describe the steps necessary to allow your computer to recognize the newly installed memory.
Basic Laptop Computer Installation
1. Please ensure that the machine is completely powered off. If the SODIMM is being installed into a notebook or hand-held computer that has a battery installed, ensure that the battery is removed and the power cord is unplugged before beginning installation.
2. Next, locate the memory expansion slot. Refer to your computer's Owner’s Manual or Manufacturer's website on how to accomplish this step.
3. 200/204/260 Pin SODIMMs have a cutout along the gold pins which will only allow the module to be inserted one way.
4. Next, pick up the memory chip by its top or sides. Don't touch the gold contacts at the bottom.
5. Insert the module at a 30° to 45° angle and push the module firmly but gently into the slot.
6. Lastly, lay the module down flush with the slot. Once memory is installed, power on the computer by just the power cord, no battery. Once your computer is operating and has accepted the memory, feel free to power off and reinstall the battery.